Sunday, January 10, 2010

Millrace Massacre and Ice Man's River Race

I went down to the Lower Saluda River yesterday to watch the10th Annual  Millrace Massacre and Iceman Racers...In their kayaks...It was COLD and the water in the Saluda is always COLD......There was a whole bunch of them (around fifty) ...A few landed in the water as you will see below...They are a very hearty group...both men and women...I was highly impresed with them and their annual venture...Their families and friends came out to watch them perform...And perform they did...They had to carry their boats about a quarter of a mile up a railroad track to above the rapids to put in the river...Then they had to paddle their boats down a prearranged course thru the rapids and down to a pylon near the rocks where we watched...They were timed...This was only the first part of the day they rested up in the parking lot for a short time and then went back for the big race...I couldn't stay that long so I headed home...I was cold but happy...I think they were the same...








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting these... I missed the Massacre this year. You can see the results of the race here: http://www.saludayakerz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5008